The Sierra Leone National Revenue Authority (NRA) prepared for a TADAT Assessment with the help of a TADAT trained staff member, Alfred Akibo-Betts (Deputy Commissioner, Domestic Taxes).
The following activities were undertaken in the weeks before the TADAT Assessment:
1. Presentation to NRA Management:
A presentation was made on July 4th, 2016. The objectives were as follows:
- Getting a buy-in and commitment for the TADAT Assessment.
- Understanding TADAT , its purpose and scope.
2. TADAT Training for Key NRA Staff
From 11th to 15th of July, Alfred Akibo-Betts led a training of 34 staff from various departments, concluding it with an exam on the final day. An exam was given on 15th July. The training involved the following:
- The introduction and overview of TADAT, covering the TADAT Wagon Wheel, the hierarchy of performance, the scoring rules and methodology, as well as the stages of the TADAT Assessment and the Performance Assessment Report.
- Breakdown of Performance Outcome Areas (POAs), desired outcomes, international good practices, indicators, dimensions and scoring criteria.
- Explanation of TADAT terminology, such as environmental scanning, proactive compliance, pre-filing of returns, etc
3. Evidence Gathering and Mock-TADAT Assessment
a) From the 20th to 21st of July 2016, the TADAT trained official undertook the Mock-TADAT Assessment sessions.
b) The next stage was to verify the evidence NRA staff had agreed upon in the previous sessions. On 27th July 2016, all POA groups presented their evidence.
c) Each dimension was then scored.
d) A draft Performance Assessment Report (PAR) of the mock assessment was prepared and discussed with the Commissioner-General, who directed the NRA to start identifying the gaps.
Benefit of the Steps Taken to Prepare for the TADAT Assessment
- : NRA management was aware of the TADAT assessment and its usefulness. Buy-in, commitment and agreement SMT was necessary.
- Staff in key departments was already trained, and this made it easier for staff to understand the importance of the assessment.
- The training also made it easier for the assessment team to consolidate the TADAT principles during the actual TADAT assessment.